Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Ceiling Mayhem

On Friday around 3:30 pm I was watching tv and minding my own business, when the rain on the roof began making an odd sound.

I went into the kitchen to see what was up, and to my surprise, found a major leak in the ceiling, where no weakness or discoloration had ever shown before.


Yikes! All kinds of yellowing, a big saggy area to the left, and a steady flow in the middle, between the refrigerator, stove and bathroom door. Jean Marie came over to investigate, and then went up on the roof to move the water, and cover the new construction (resurfacing from the previous week) with a tarp. I cleaned up the mess, placed containers under the flow, and drained the saggy area. Problem solved for now...?

NOPE!

Around 6:00 pm I heard a crash, and jumped up to see what was going on. A big chunk of the dry wall ceiling had fallen. As I watched, another big chunk, and then a third, and an entire panel was down, all over my kitchen floor. The leak was done, but the damage had continued.




What a mess! So Jean Marie brought over cleaning supplies ( a yard bag, big broom, big dustpan), and I set about cleaning up Round Two. I got it all done, and there was no more water coming down, so I slept okay, although the air was very dusty.

Ronn (the construction guy) came by Saturday morning to seal up the hole with plastic, and he is here today to seal up the ceiling with a new drywall panel. What an event!




No comments:

Post a Comment