Friday, June 7, 2024

Legion of Super-Heroes

I try not to duplicate posts anymore, between here and my art & music blogs, but I spent so much time on my most recent (and most detailed) Legion of Super-Heroes drawing, that I have to note it here.

Top row: Invisible Kid II and Sun Boy, Polar Boy, Wildfire and Lamprey.
Bottom row: Vapor Lass & Ferro Lad, Lightning Lass, Shrinking Violet, Blok.

I drew the lower left first, and then just kept slowly building from there as I added members both new and old to the drawing. My preferred Legion is a continuation of the phenomenal Levitz/Giffen run, but with my own personal membership and storyline tweaks. So in this image there are non-canon members such as: Gas Girl (lower left), a Hero of Lallor, who I renamed Vapor Lass; Ferro Lad (next to her), who is depicted as his creator Jim Shooter intended (of African decent); and Lamprey, the green girl in the upper right (a Legion Academy graduate, who in the 'true' timeline went off to space instead of joining the main team).

Anyway, I drew it slowly over the course of late April until early June. I had no idea what to put in the background, but I eventually decided: 1) to use Giffen-style future buildings, and 2) to make the location Japan, by adding Mt. Fuji, and also adjusting Vapor Lass' origins to being of Japanese descent in order to have an in-story reason for visiting that country on 31st Century Earth (especially since the team has an extreme lack of Asian characters over its long history).

It was a lot of fun to draw! I love making decisions on the fly after beginning randomly. I knew I didn't want to just draw another group shot with my favorite members, and because I crammed ten characters into the image I never got bored with it. I might have to do a similar one with the X-Men, Justice League of America or The Avengers, but I'll probably just do another Legion drawing because they have so many members, and they have been my favorite team since I was a kid.

Side note, my ten favorite members (in no particular order):
  • Wildfire
  • Polar Boy
  • Timber Wolf
  • Ultra Boy
  • Phantom Girl
  • Shadow Lass
  • Tyroc
  • Dawnstar
  • Saturn Girl
  • Lightning Lad


No comments:

Post a Comment